On Thursday, May 12th, all 8th grade students will be taking their American History STAAR exam. In order to prepare, students will be reviewing throughout next week, May 2nd – 6th. They have received their practice STAAR score and are aware of their current standing in my class.
Calling all 8th Grade Parents and Guardians:
We need of volunteers to chaperone the 8th grade Schlitterbahn field trip on Tuesday, May 24. In order to join us on this fun adventure, you must be V.I.P.S. approved and you must be able to pay $30 to cover your park entrance fee. You will receive your very own Pin Oak Schlitterbahn t-shirt (because on the best day of the year, we dress alike). If you are interested in volunteering, please e-mail Amber Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 29, 2016, and provide the following information:
- Your full name (as it appears on your driver’s license).
- The name of your 8th grader (No nicknames, please!)
- Your student’s cluster
- The best phone number to reach you during the day
You will receive a follow-up e-mail shortly with details on making your payment, and further information.
Can I chaperone the Schlitterbahn trip?
- I am V.I.P.S. approved*.
- I am 21 years of age or older.
- I am the parent or legal guardian to a Pin Oak 8th grader
What are the commitments and responsibilities?
- Be available from 8:00 a.m. until approximately 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 24,2016.
- You will need to ride the charter bus with your group from Pin Oak to Galveston (and back again). We have made exceptions when siblings have a time conflict with graduations, but it is best if all chaperones ride the bus.
- Set check in times for your student group and hold group members responsible for meeting you at specific times and locations.
- Be observant and help Pin Oak staff ensure that students are following the park rules and guidelines set by Pin Oak.
What will I need to provide?
- Pay $30 fee to cover entry to the park.
- Provide your own lunch, towel, sunscreen, etc.
*If you are not a V.I.P.S. approved volunteer, you will need to register through the H.I.S.D. website, and provide Yvonne Treveno, our school receptionist with a copy of your driver’s license, or other official photo identification. Please do so as soon as possible so that we can add you to our list!
Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday – Students will complete the following tasks: Read Ch 6-11 of TKAM, Literature Circle for Ch 6-11 of TKAM, Vocabulary for Ch 6-11 of TKAM, Character Analysis in Ch 1-11 of TKAM, and essay topic brainstorming. Homework: IRA #1, due 4/22 (need ideas for independent reading? click here —-> TKAM Pairings or follow this link for more nonfiction pairings: https://theteachingfactor.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/text-pairing-for-to-kill-a-mockingbird/ , forms available in class or by clicking here —->TKAM IRA).
Friday – Students will participate in Lit Circle discussion and take a quiz over Ch 1-11 of TKAM. Homework: IRA #1, due 4/22 (need ideas for independent reading? click here —-> TKAM Pairings or follow this link for more nonfiction pairings: https://theteachingfactor.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/text-pairing-for-to-kill-a-mockingbird/ , forms available in class or by clicking here —->TKAM IRA).